Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I need your help!

My Grandson, Isaiah, has Autism. No one knows why or how someone is affected by this horrible disorder or how to cure it.

What is Autism?
Autism is a severe developmental disorder that begins at birth or within the first two-and-a-half years of life. Most autistic children are perfectly normal in appearance, but spend their time engaged in puzzling and disturbing behaviors which are markedly different from those of typical children.
To learn more you can go to What is Autism?.

What can I do?
Isaiah's been living with this his whole life. The only real help he's gotten is from his Father (thanks Scott). Well, it's time to get in the game. Since I can't be there (geographically challenged) to give him my time I have another plan. I'm going to turn my cycling, running and triathlons into money to help find a cure for this disorder.

What can you do?
Donate money, but not to me. I found the Autism Research Institute in San Diego, CA. They're rated very high by Charity Navigator as far as putting the most amount of donation money to the actual charity.
I believe that's where your money can do the most good.

How will it work?
I'm going to use this blog to track training, events and the money we raise. My goal is to raise $50,000.00 by the Hawaii Ironman event. I currently have 3 events planned.

Seattle to Portland (7/17/2010)
This is a 1 day, 206 mile bike ride from Seattle, WA to Portland, OR

Lake Meridian Triathlon (8/22/2010)
1.5k swim, 40k bike, 10k run

Hawaii Ironman Triathlon (10/08/2011)
2.5 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run

Obviously the culminating event will be the Ironman. I'll be adding events as I go but the main goal is to raise money and awareness for Autism in the name of my very special grandson. I also hope to add sponsors along the way. I'll keep this updated as much as possible.

No comments: