Sunday, April 11, 2010

Why do you do it

I watch a lot of cycling and triathlon shows on TV (that you Universal Sports). As Gina and I watch these shows she will frequently make the comment "Those people must love pain". I don't really know how to respond to that statement so I don't. But, while talking to my friend Sean yesterday, he made a statement that really defines why people do these crazy endurance activities. As we were discussing my grandson Isaiah's nightmare life and how he goes through each day, I said "if Isaiah can wake up in the morning with a smile on his face, then I can endure a little pain to try to help him". Sean's reply was this..."It's great that you found the thing that motivates you. Now, I just need to find MY thing". That's when it hit me. The answer to Why is different for me than it might be for you. I have a young boy who gives me strength through a handsome, toothy smile and a two simple words, "Hi Papa". I challenge you to do something to make a difference to someone. I promise it'll be one of the most rewarding, life changing acts you will ever do. With that, I'm going to make an effort to motivate you through this blog with stories of people who found their motivation. Most of what I find will be sports/endurance related because that's what most interest me. However, I'll be happy to add a motivational story of other interest if someone sends it to me.

MEET HARRIET ANDERSON
Harriet has competed in the Ironman World Champ 18 times. Since her first race in 1989 she's missed triathlon’s most famous race only three times. She’s won her age group nine times. Anderson has never failed to place in the top five.

In the 2009 Ironman, eighty miles into the bike, Anderson is riding along smoothly. The 5:30 p.m. bike cutoff is a non-factor. Then, out of the blue, a male cyclist drifts beside Anderson from behind, clips her on the left side and knocks her to the ground.

“He didn’t say ‘On your left,’ ” recalls Anderson. “He just bumped right into me and I went sliding down on my right side.”

Anderson stopped to assess the damage. Her shoulders and ribs were sore. So was her right thigh where she landed. The bike took a hit, too. The brakes were rubbing on the rim of the tires. She released the brake lever and after at least a 10-minute delay, on she pedaled.
She still beat the bike cutoff by nearly an hour.

Harriet Anderson is 74 years old! How old are you?
For more on Harriet Anderson you can go to Unstoppable Harriet Anderson.

No comments: