Tuesday, April 13, 2010

10 Things

I got the below list from an Autism workshop our church conducted. When I read the list, it made me very sad. If you know Isaiah, or any child with autism, it will make you sad too.

10 things every child with autism wish you knew:

  1. I am a child with autism. I am not "autistic." My autism is one aspect of my total character. It does not define me as a person

  2. My sensory perceptions are disordered. This means the ordinary sights, sounds, smells, tastes and touches of everyday life that you may not even notice can be downright painful for me.

  3. Please remember to distinguish between won’t (I choose not to) and can’t (I’m not able to).
    When you call to me from across the room, this is what I hear: "*&^%$@, Billy. $%^*&^%$&*" Instead, come speak directly to me in plain words: "Please put your book in your desk, Billy. It’s time to go to lunch." This tells me what you want me to do and what is going to happen next. Now it’s much easier for me to comply.

  4. I am a concrete thinker. I interpret language literally. It’s very confusing for me when you say, "Hold your horses, cowboy!" when what you really mean is "Please stop running." Don’t tell me something is a "piece of cake" when there is no dessert in sight and what you really mean is, "This will be easy for you to do."

  5. Be patient with my limited vocabulary. It’s hard for me to tell you what I need when I don’t know the words to describe my feelings. I may be hungry, frustrated, frightened or confused, but right now those words are beyond my ability to express. Be alert for body language, withdrawal, agitation, or other signs that something is wrong.

  6. Because language is so difficult for me, I am very visually oriented. Show me how to do something rather than just telling me. And please be prepared to show me many times. Lots of patient repetition helps me learn.

  7. Focus and build on what I can do rather than what I can’t do. Like any other human, I can’t learn in an environment where I’m constantly made to feel that I’m not good enough or that I need fixing.

  8. Help me with social interactions. It may look like I don’t want to play with the other kids on the playground, but sometimes it’s just that I simply don’t know how to start a conversation or enter a play situation.

  9. Try to identify what triggers my meltdowns. This is termed "the antecedent." Meltdowns, blowups, tantrums or whatever you want to call them are even more horrid for me than they are for you. They occur because one or more of my senses has gone into overload. If you can figure out why my meltdowns occur, they can be prevented.

  10. If you are a family member, please love me unconditionally. Banish thoughts such as, "If he would just ..." and "Why can’t she ... ?" You didn’t fulfill every last expectation your parents had for you, and you wouldn’t like being constantly reminded of it. I didn’t choose to have autism. Remember that it’s happening to me, not you. Without your support, my chances of successful, self-reliant adulthood are slim. With your support and guidance, the possibilities are broader than you might think. I promise you I’m worth it.
It all comes down to three words: Patience. Patience. Patience.

Training Update
I've increased my cycling and run miles considerably. However, my weight loss has hit a standstill. My guess is, with all the cardio work I do, my lower body is getting stronger (more muscle) but my upper body is getting weaker (less muscle). I'm going to begin an upper body strength program designed to make you stronger and leaner. I hope the extra muscle mass with aid in fat burning.

Also, I've entered the Tacoma half marathon. 13.1 miles! This will be my longest ever running event but it's the next step in the progression. My goal will be 10 minute mile pace for the entire run. If I break 9:45 I'll be stoked. Wish me luck.

No comments: